• 608.273.8609
  • Make a Payment

World Elder Abuse Awareness Day

June 15 is designated as World Elder Abuse Awareness Day, and the attorneys and staff at Christenson Johnson, LLC participate in this awareness through their professional work and community involvement.

The attorneys at Christenson Johnson can assist you in addressing potential elder abuse with well-drafted legal documents for appointing someone to deal with your financial and personal decisions if you cannot act for yourself. Clear guidance in a financial power of attorney or a trust can protect your interests, and we can help you decide on a trustworthy person or entity to act on your behalf.

If you suspect someone is handling your affairs poorly, misusing their position of trust or power, or abusing you financially or physically, we can help in one or more of the following ways:

  • Help you formally request an accounting from your agent or your trustee.
  • Assist with a court petition to review conduct of your agent under a financial or health care power of attorney.
  • Help you petition a court to replace a trustee.
  • Obtain a restraining order if someone is abusing you, taking your property, or intimidating you.

In addition to providing legal services to their clients, the attorneys at Christenson Johnson are active in professional and community endeavors to address elder abuse. For example, Attorney Mark Johnson is a member of the Dane County Financial Abuse Specialist Team, and Attorneys Iris Christenson and Barbara Hughes are active in several organizations that serve vulnerable adults and their families.

There are many fine resources from governmental and legal organizations about identifying and combatting elder abuse. For example, the Special Needs Alliance offers this brief guide for recognizing and preventing abuse of individuals with disabilities and older adults.

Finally, local agencies and law enforcement can help. For non-emergency concerns, contact your county’s adult protective services.  For situations where you are uncertain or where someone’s health, safety, or property is in danger, call the local police or 911.