National Elder Law Month
May is National Elder Law Month, as designated by the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA), which seeks to serve the legal needs of older adults, people with special needs, and their families. Through legal services and education, the attorneys at Christenson Johnson, LLC join with other NAELA members around the country to promote the independence, self-determination, and well-being of those who are elderly or disabled.
Attorneys Iris Christenson and Mark Johnson provide the following services and learning opportunities:
- Legal services to clients for long-term care planning
- Advice and customized legal documents for clients’ estate planning
- Assistance with guardianships, protective placement, and special needs trusts
- Frequent informational seminars to local senior and professional groups
- Printed and online resources for clients and the general public
- Service on professional and community boards and committees related to helping elderly and disabled populations
As part of our goal to offer information on various topics related to elder law, here are six helpful websites for learning more about different issues that senior citizens often face:
1. AARP.org—check out the different sections related to money tools and finances.
2. Morningstar.com—this site offers numerous articles about investing and retirement planning.
3. Alz.org—The national Alzheimer’s Association site offers excellent resources for those diagnosed with dementia and their families.
4. Publications.USA.gov—the United States government offers many consumer-oriented publications, including the Consumer Action Handbook
5. Wisbar.org—the State Bar of Wisconsin provides certain basic resources to the public; see the “for Public “ section on the home page.
6. Gwaar.org—the Greater Wisconsin Agency on Aging Resources, Inc. offers information and events to assist senior citizens and their advocates, with recent topics such as Wisconsin voter ID law and information for veterans
Note: The listed websites and their content are provided as information to readers. Christenson Johnson, LLC is not directly associated with any of these entities or websites and does not endorse any particular content.